Sunday 10 November 2013

XTERRA: THE RACE

The racing format we now know as Xterra, started on the island of Maui in 1996. It began as a duel of the fittest, largely between mountain bikers and triathletes, but it has gone on to attract a variety of outdoor enthusiasts since. Although it had very humble beginnings, Xterra is now a global brand, and the fastest-growing multisport event in the world. The Xterra points series consists of more than 70 races in the US. Further afield, the Xterra World Tour holds championship events in Saipan, New Zealand, South Africa, the Czech Republic, Italy, Brazil, Japan, Germany, France, and Switzerland. The top ranking athletes from each of the national championship events are invited to compete at the Xterra World Championship each October in Kapalua, Maui.  For me, this meant racing alongside over 800 other athletes, with 9 women in my 20-24 age group.

I arrived on Maui at around midday on Tuesday the 22nd October along with my trusty support crew – Mum, Dad and my sister Jemma. We hired a car, and headed north east around the island to our accommodation in Kahana; around 10mins drive from race HQ. I was fortunate enough to get in touch with a few of kiwi’s who were competing; largely through friends of friends. Two of whom were Nick and Judy Kensington. Possibly the loveliest people you could ever hope to meet. They had spent a year living in Maui, after competing in the World Champs the year before. Nick and Judy were awesome, and kind of ‘took me under their wing’ for the last few days leading up to the race. I was able to go over the swim course with them a few times, as well as the bike and run course. I biked the MTB course on Wednesday with Judy and although it was soon clear that the course was fairly tough, and it turned out to be longer than previous years; but we just cruised around and had an awesome afternoon. It turned out that biking the course on Wednesday was a wise decision, as the heat only worsened over the next couple of days, and being such a long, tough course, my tapering would not have been as effective if I had tackled it a day or two later.
On Thursday I meandered around the run course after a morning swim and I was stoked to discover that most of the hill climbing was over and done with in the first half of the run. After completing the run on Thursday I had now seen the entire course, and I was super excited. It was going to be very hot, but a lot of fun! Leading up to the race I was careful to taper well and stuck closely to the programme that had been set for me by Brendon (Thanks Brendon!). This meant that when it came to race day on Sunday, not only was my body well rested, but I was mentally amping for a race! Bring it on!!!
The race started at 9am, after a quick blessing from a local chief and the American national anthem. The pro’s started us off, bang on 9am. Two minutes later it was the men and after a further two minutes I found myself sprinting into the water with the women’s field. I was pretty happy with my swim, and I came out of the water first in my age group; still feeling pretty fresh. The conditions were the calmest they had been all week with next to no surf!
The 32 km mountain bike started off awesome also. The first few miles were mostly uphill with plenty of meandering corners and sandy patches; making for a slow but interesting first few miles. The course was also pretty congested with competitors, adding to the challenge. I held a pretty consistent place amongst the bikers around me in the first few miles and was happy with how I was going. After reaching the highest point of the race, we began the first major descent. All was going well until we hit a steep section of single track that had a fair few tight corners and sandy patches. It was here that things got a wee bit nasty for a few of us!! I seemed to be in a relatively big group of riders at the time which I found tricky (I definitely need more practise riding in bunches). At one point during a downhill section my handle bars clipped a tree and the next thing I knew I was down a bank with my bike on top of me. No major injuries though so climbed back up, checked my chain and gears, and jumped back on… only to fall straight back off and down the bank... again. I hadn’t even notice that my seat had been twisted 90 degrees in the first fall, so when I went to get back on my butt slipped straight back off again, duuuhhh!!
I was still all in one piece though (mostly), and my bike was still in order other than the fact that my handle bars had been turned so far that they had been forced over the top tube. I have since deduced that this came about when the handle bar jabbed me in the ribs. After a few seconds of pulling and a bit of swearing under my breath; I managed to correct them. And this time I was careful to straighten my seat! After having a wee giggle to myself about my ‘muppet’ moment I was back on the bike. I had lost a bit of time with this incident though and was now a bit sore. I was also now missing my drink bottle, and a couple of GU’s which had become dislodged during the tumbles.
Why it pays to stay on your bike...
Unfortunately, that wasn’t the last of the blonde moments (perhaps I should try dyeing my hair another colour). After reaching an aid station and getting another Gatorade bottle into my bottle cage, I was hot and thirsty and desperately wanted a cold drink... but I should have waited for a more convenient time. Riding downhill with one hand on the handle bars and one hand holding a bottle is not a smart move; over handle bars again, and this time onto stones. Rats!

My trusty bike and I were still all good though so I didn’t lose too much time. The biggest knock I got this time was a knock to my confidence. Knowing that I still had over an hour to go on the bike, and then 10ks of trail running, meant that I was now just keen to get through without any more major falls. Stepping back my speed on the downhill meant that I was able to get through more or less unscathed (only one minor fall when I hit a deep patch of sand). And after some more climbing, meandering, and a few downhill sections, I was back to T2, and was in third place in my division.

Because I had backed off a bit of the last section of the ride, my legs still felt pretty fresh. I loved the run, and managed to make up some of the time I lost on the bike. There were a lot of people really struggling with the intense heat on the run so I was able to pass a fair few (although mainly men). Although we had tattoos on our calves illustrating out division, it was really hard to see them by this stage of the race and I was unsure about where I was placed in the field. Overall the run was incredibly hot, but relatively uneventful. Seeing the finish line in any race is the best feeling ever , but on a scorching day like today, in the company of such fantastic athletes and with my family watching on from the side of the finishing chute, it was extra special. I was incredibly stoked to gain 2nd place in the 20-24 age group, and also the 3rd fastest under 25 finisher. Not only had I completed the race and absolutely loved it, I had achieved my goal of finishing in the top 3 in the world, in my age group. Stoked.
I just want to thank everyone who helped me get there and make it all happen. Thanks to my sponsors; Lysaght consultants, Cycle Obsession, Smiths Sport Shoes, and Ocean Blue Gym for your support. Also, thanks to the entire North Harbour Triathlon Club, and in particular those who I have been training with a lot. The North Harbour Squad has been an awesome and very welcoming club to be a part of since moving to Auckland earlier this year, and I have met the most amazing, inspirational and hardworking people. Also thanks to those back at home in the BOP, including my awesome team mate ‘Crazy’ Craig Jones, Steve Lake, and many others who have helped me out with trainings, advice and encouragement; it has all meant a lot. I would also like to make mention of the Hoare family (family friends of ours from Te Puke) who adjusted their travel plans to come over to Maui and cheer me on. Thanks guys!
Last but certainly not least, thanks to my family (also known as my support crew, photographers, managers, organisers, and well actually everything-ers). You guys are awesome and I am stoked you all jumped at the opportunity to come over and share the experience with me. Oh, and we are already planning for another trip next year hopefully!!! Wooohooo!

I hope to have a further post up in the next few days, just looking back at the journey to Xterra. But for now, you can find more photos and information here:
https://www.facebook.com/Hannah.Wells.Triathlete 






1 comment:

  1. congrats Hannah! Awesome work! bring on the commonwealth and Olympics!

    ReplyDelete